Sunday, February 19, 2017

Weapons of Math Destruction // A Blogging for Books Review


As a big math nerd, I jumped on the opportunity to read and review this book, and although it took me a good 4 months to read, this was at no fault of the book itself--I just have not had much time for leisure reading recently.

That being said, I found this book to be fascinating. It is all about how today's day and age is all about the algorithm. Whether we are aware of it or not, most of the day to day dealings that we have revolve around the use of a mathematical algorithm, and this book seeks to highlight how in this case, math is not being used for good as many of today's algorithms are predicting human behavior in detrimental ways. From something as mundane as how much we pay for health insurance to your credit score, algorithms are all playing a part in this numbers game, and consistently, these numbers are based on seemingly irrelevant factors.

This book was so deep that I am even having a hard time articulating everything that I want to say about it, but that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I learned a lot, and my eyes have been opened to one of the different ways that math can be exploited. I would recommend this book to anyone because this books contents apply to everyone.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment