Thursday, June 4, 2015

On My Bookshelf: June

I can't believe it's already June. I always think that I'll read more during the summer, but that doesn't usually hold to be true. Still, I have some books this month that I'm excited to read!

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin
This book is essentially Steve Martin's autobiography about how he started out as a comedian and then his subsequent rise to fame. I've already started this one, and I am already really enjoying it. I've been amazed by the story so far--I never knew how Steve Martin got his start, and this story is really one of perseverance.

The Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy
This is the latest book that I have received on behalf of the Blogging for Books program, and it's the first work of fiction that I have obtained from the program in a while. The book contains two story lines: one follows the life of Sarah Brown who expertly draws maps into artwork to help slaves escape on the Underground Railroad. The other is about a modern day woman, Eden Anderson, who moves into a old historical home, and as the book progresses, it turns out that these two women have many things in common.

2 comments:

  1. Mapmakers Children sounds very interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started it, and I'm engrossed so far! Very well developed characters.

      Delete