Monday, June 29, 2015

Hyacinth Girls // A Blogging for Books Review


I have to be brutally honest and say that I did not like this book. While it dealt with a very serious subject matter--bullying--I felt that this novel could have done better. As a plus, the story was very nuanced and subtle, mirroring for me the way bullying often is, but the storyline often became overly complicated and not well explained.

The biggest con against the book for me was that it felt very scattered. The book frequently jumped to parts of the narrators past without any indication that the transition was taking place, and then it would jump back to the present situation just as suddenly. This heightened my confusion in the story, and I also felt the shift in narrators towards the end was out of place and unnecessary.

Overall, although I felt no connection to the plot, I feel that this novel raises important issues. Bullying is a very really problem, especially in teenagers lives, and I think that they would benefit from and enjoy this book more than I did.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment