Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Room // A Blogging for Books Review


The Room by Jonas Karlsson is the story of an office worker, Bjorn, who is extremely ambitious and plans to work to the top of the ladder at his new job in a government sector called 'The Authority.' However, his plans to rapidly become the best in the office are hindered when he discovers 'the room.' From Bjorn's point of view, the room is a place where he can go to work that helps him concentrate and do his best work. But his other co-workers can't see the room and think he is going crazy.

This book is described as Kafkaesque, and I certainly agree. It is a book that would work really well in an education environment because it is extremely well-written, and it explores a new level of existentialism that deserves to be contextualized and dissected.

What I loved best about this short novel? Karlsson's writing is unlike any other that I have experienced. Every sentence is itself a work of art, and the way he formulates ideas through his words had me highlighting bits of every chapter. One sentence that really stood out to me:

"I suddenly felt how lonely it is, constantly finding yourself the only person who can see the truth in this gullible world."

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment