Sunday, May 3, 2015

On My Bookshelf: May

I got some books recently on sale that I'm really excited to read this month. I subscribed to a site called BookBub that essentially sends you emails every day to tell you what electronic books are discounted that day on Amazon or other e-book sites. Every morning I look at the email, and even though there isn't always a book that I'm interested in, over the past month, there have been about three books that I've really wanted that have shown up on the list, so I have purchased a couple books for about $2 instead of the $10ish that they usually cost. And being a penny-pinching, recent college grad, I like to save all the money I can.

I'm a little behind on my goal to read 30 books this year, so hopefully this month's three books will help.

Dear Girls Above Me by Charlie McDowell
This book, inspired by real events in the author's life, is a hilarious story about a guy who can hear every word that his two female neighbors living above him say. What started as just a Twitter feed, turned into a book, and it is the story of how the funny, somewhat ditzy, wisdom of the two girls changes his life.

Spinning Forward by Terri Dulong
I'd be lying if I said that I don't love books that center around knitting. I think knitting figuratively binds people together, and reading about the awakening of the female soul through knitting really speaks to me. Gosh, I'm such a yarn dork.

The Room by Jonas Karlsson
The Room is the newest book that I have received on behalf of the Blogging for Books, and it is a Kafka-esque book about an office worker, Bjorn, who discovers a secret room that is unacknowledged by anyone else in the office. Just from the few pages I have read, I suspect that this will be a slightly surreal read and will certainly be thought-provoking.

I've been struggling to come up with books to read each month, so suggestions are welcome! What are you reading right now and loving?

No comments:

Post a Comment