Friday, May 22, 2015

Five Years in Heaven // A Blogging for Books Review


Five Years in Heaven is John Schlimm's true story about meeting a Catholic nun at her ceramics shop and the five years of wisdom that follow as a result of Sister Augustine's everyday teachings. Taking simple circumstances, Sister Augustine molds amazing life lessons, and while her words aren't necessarily groundbreaking, they're said in a loving, unassuming way that gives them new meanings and relevance.

Although this book does contain nuggets of wisdom, this book is best classified in my opinion as a memoir. And not necessarily the author's memoir either. To me, it is really the story of a humble nun whose life deserved to be chronicled. And to that extent, although the book only covers five years of her life, it is well-recorded and is a beautiful tribute to who she was as a person. I found myself tearing-up towards the last few pages, feeling that my life has now been touched in some small way by her life.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment