Friday, February 20, 2015

Lent


Lent started this week, and I gave a lot of thought into what I wanted to "give up" during this season. In the past, I've given up TV and ice cream. In the fourth grade, I gave up watching Arthur, my all time favorite show at the time (and then proceeded to never watch it again afterwards, definitely my most successful Lent).

This year though, I wanted to give up something that would mean something different, so this year, I am giving up make-up. Of course, this is happening right as I have pretty much the biggest zit of my life.

I don't wear a lot of makeup, but the loss of my pressed powder, eye liner, and blush is already being felt. And while I certainly don't feel the need to "put on my face" every morning, there definitely is something about makeup that makes me feel more confident.

But this Lent, I want to redefine for myself what makes someone beautiful, not what society tells me a woman needs to be beautiful.

Don't get me wrong, I love makeup, and I think it's an amazing tool, but this is a personal challenge for myself to try to see myself as God intended me to be.

I'm also hoping that during these forty days I can work on my skin and give myself less of a need to turn towards makeup in the first place. I frequently hear differing views about whether or not makeup makes a person's skin worse, so it will be an interesting experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment