Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Yarn Along

Happy Wednesday and Happy Yarn Along Day! Linking up with Ginny from Small Things :)



Every Christmas, my sisters and I do a Secret Santa gift exchange because there's just too many of us to give gifts that are meaningful. This Christmas, I had my sister Erin, and I knew that I wanted to crochet her a scarf as part of her gift.

Erin has three kids and I thought it would be a great idea to use the birthstone colors of her children as the color palette for the scarf. The birthstones are diamond, topaz, and aquamarine, and I loved how these colors worked together. The pattern I came up with on my own, but I knew I wanted to create something light with a lot of drape.

Like most of my projects, I wanted to keep it for myself, but it's inspired me to make more.

You can find my Ravelry notes here.

11 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful gift. I am sure she loved it. I like the idea of using the kids birthstone colors...makes it even more special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robbie! I think she was pleasantly surprised :)

      Delete
  2. Love your idea to use their birthstone colors! The yarn looks soft and I love the drape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful idea to use the birthstone colors. How clever! It looks soft and drapes nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It made a homemade gift even more personal :)

      Delete
  4. And every time she wears it, she can feel your love.... literally! I think those thoughts when I see your crosstitch pieces hanging in your childhood home. Or my favorite "Kerry loves me!" piece, my lap blanket. I feel your hands holding the needles, feeling the yarn, seeing the material slowly disappear; from a lowly ball of wool into a priceless rectangle of beauty.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still my home! Thanks, Momma :)

      Delete
    2. I had the best most thought provoking post written and Google deleted it by asking for my p/w.... again! Arrgghh!

      Delete
  5. Oh I had never thought of using birthstone colours in knitting. It looks fantastic, and will be so meaningful to her. Thanks for sharing your idea! Hopping over from yarn along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got lucky that all the colors work together :) Thanks, Natalie!

      Delete