Thursday, November 20, 2014

Blogging for Books // The Daughter of Highland Hall

I've been sick all week, so in picking out a book to read, I wanted something quick and easy that would require little effort on my part as I wasted away most of my day in bed.

I was correct in my pick in two of the three regards. Yes, the book required no effort to read or understand, and yes, the book could be denoted a quick read, but no, it was not easy. The book is marketed as Jane Austen meets Downton Abbey, and as a huge fan of both of these, I thought this book would be right up my alley. Unfortunately I was wrong, and although I can understand where the comparisons came from, I could barely make it through this book. I found it to be contrived and cliché, and a little too much like bad fan fiction, just with some names changed.

I can imagine many people liking this novel, but I was just not one of them. This book felt like something I would have enjoyed a lot more in high school.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment