Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tuesday Tea: Finding Ways to Relax

Sometimes when I get stressed out, I do the exact opposite of trying to de-stress.  I don't do it intentionally, but sometimes, like a lot of people, when I get overwhelmed, I usually gravitate to trying to do more in an attempt to make up for whatever is bothering me, as if I don't deserve a break.  They say the first step is owning up to your issue, so being cognizant of my stress tendencies, I try to make time on a regular basis to be more proactive in finding ways to relax.



1. Drink a cup of tea.  This is usually my solution to every problem ;) Tea is good for the body, and I also think it's good for the soul.  Making tea is ritualistic, and so just as the actual cup of tea is good for stress levels, the actual act of preparing the tea can be beneficial.  It can also make a great five minute break from studying.

2. Journal: Journaling is one of my favorite things to do because it can help me to organize my thoughts and think more clearly. It also has the added benefit of making it really easy to go back and re-read things from the past.

3. Make a list. When I'm overwhelmed by things to do, I usually start by making a list to help me organize and prioritize my agenda. This way, I know exactly where things stand, what I need to do, and how soon I need to do it.

4. Take a walk. Besides the April showers yesterday, the weather has been pretty darn lovely. Convening with nature can be relaxing and exhilarating at the same time, and it's the perfect time to step back and examine your life on the scale of the whole universe.

5. Figure out what your body needs.  If you're too tired to focus, consider taking a 20 minute catnap.  If watching an episode of TV on Netflix is something you like to do in your free time, then don't beat yourself up over taking a half hour break to catch up on How I Met Your Mother.  Call your parents.  Practice a hobby.  Do some stretches.  You name it. Your body knows what it needs.


P.S. What do you think of the text overlay in the picture? I figured I would try something new, and if I liked it enough, then I would pay for the app to remove the watermark.

No comments:

Post a Comment