Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday Tea: 5 of My Favorite Poems

Since April is National Poetry Month, I indulged myself by taking a trip down memory lane and picking out old, favorite poems of mine that I wanted to share here.

My relationship with poetry has been a long one.  My love of poems started, like most people, with Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein.  What I didn't know for the longest time, however, was that poems don't necessarily have to rhyme.  It was when I started to learn this that my own writing started to improve (mostly because I didn't feel I was forced into a contrived and cheesy rhyming scheme--I've never been good at writing "serious" poems that rhyme), and from then on, my repertoire of poems began to grow, and I have garnered quite a list of poems that I would call favorites.

1. Sonnet 116 - William Shakespeare.  Let's be real: my love for this poem probably originally stemmed from my love of the Sense and Sensibility movie, but in all actuality, this poem is undeniably beautiful and sweet.

2. He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven - William Butler Yeats.  The last three lines are utter perfection.

3. i thank you God for most this amazing - e.e. cummings.  I read this poem at some point during my high school years, but I don't think I fell in love with it until I performed Eric Whitacre's musical composition of this piece with my high school's chamber choir.  The music combined with the words gives me goosebumps.

4. If You Forgot Me - Pablo Neruda.  All of Neruda's poems are haunting.  I almost bought a beautiful cloth-bound copy of his poems once, and I don't know why I didn't.

5. Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost.  If I could write not cliche poems that rhymed, I would want them to be like Robert Frost's, lyrical and simple, yet multi-layered.

No comments:

Post a Comment