Friday, April 4, 2014

On My Bookshelf: April

Sparing you my usual spiel about how fast time seems to be flying by, I'm excited for some new reads this month.

Last month, I had planned to read J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy, but when I went to go read it, it wasn't quite the flavor of book that I was really in the mood for at the time.  That's not to say that I'm not going to read it, but in the interest of full disclosure, I figured I should own up to the fact that I didn't quite stick to my reading plan last month.  It happens.

Instead, I did finish reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman which I had started too many months ago and put down because I'll be honest and say that this book didn't really blow my mind.  I love the movie adaptation, and this will have to be one of the few instances where I have to admit that I found the movie to be better than the book.

This month, I have plans to read some new books, and I also have plans to finish some books that I have already started.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
I've heard some amazing things about this memoir about a dysfunctional but still oddly loving family, and I'm interested to read it because this isn't really the kind of book that I usually find myself going for.  I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

My Antonia by Willa Cather
The is the book I have chosen as the book I will read this month in my attempt to read more classic novels.  Back when I was in high school, and I was still debating where to go to college, I spent the night at Agnes Scott during one of their programs to get to know the campus better and to do interviews to earn scholarship money.  The next day, we were assigned to random classes to attend, and the class I went to was an English class that focused on classic novels written by women.  My Antonia was the book they were reading at the time, and the professor, anticipating us high schoolers, had printed out a chapter from the novel for us to follow along.  Reading the chapter, and listening to their conversations about what they were reading, I told myself that I had to finish reading it one day.  Now that I'm wrapping up college at a completely different school, it somehow seemed appropriate.

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
I have mentioned this book many times on this blog, and I still have yet to finish it.  I have the last bit of it on audiobook though, so I'll be able to hopefully finish it up while walking to class and other places.

Deep and Simple by Bo Lozoff
I started reading this book last month as a book to read during the Lenten season.  With Easter in just a couple weeks, I'm eager to finish it up.  I'm really getting a lot out of it so far, and I know that the rest of the book will be just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment