Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesday Tea: Lent

Today is Mardi Gras and tomorrow is Ash Wednesday which means that Lent is upon us again, and it's inevitably the time of year when I wrestle with the decision to give up tea or not.  But I can never bring myself to do it.  I just love it too much, and I justify this decision by the fact that tea is good for you.  While I would mentally benefit from giving up tea (because it would be such a struggle for me to overcome!), I know that physically my body would thank me more if I gave up something like wine or chocolate.

An even bigger vice that I think I have though is watching television and Netflix when I could be using my time more productively.  The most successful Lent I ever had was in the 4th grade when I gave up watching Arthur on TV.  Sounds silly, I know, but I was seriously obsessed with the show, and I watched it everyday.  After giving it up for all of Lent though, I never watched it again, not even once Easter rolled around.  So this year, I've decided to give up watching television except in social situations (aka I'm not going to refuse to hangout with someone just because they want to watch a movie--sitting with someone for two hours can be really good bonding time).  This pretty much boils down to not letting myself sit in my room alone when I could be using my time in a different way, be that reading, studying, being social, or exercising my right to craft.  I think this will be hardest while I am knitting (or something similar) because it's so easy to get lost in an episode of House of Cards while going row by row on a knitting project.  Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

In all of this free time that I should ideally be creating for myself, I'm hoping to get some awesome grades to finish off my last semester at Tech strongly, and hopefully make the time to work my faith more strongly into my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment