Friday, March 28, 2014

Perfect Egg Salad // The Pioneer Woman Cooks

This month had me scrambling to figure out what recipe to make for my challenge to make a recipe every month from my Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays cookbook.  Except...not scrambling because these eggs were hard boiled...

Semantics, right?

Seriously though, I don't understand how the end of the month creeped up so quickly.  Between Spring Break and time flying to quickly in general, I found myself with only a few days to prepare a recipe, and since I have a test at the beginning of next week, I also found myself with no desire to go to the grocery store to buy any necessary ingredients.  I considered just skipping this month since technically I made two recipes per month in January and February.  But I persevered, flipping through the cookbook and judging recipes based solely on the length of their ingredient lists, and found a recipe that required only ingredients that could be found in my kitchen already.  The fact that it's probably the easiest recipe ever probably didn't hurt any either.

The hardest part was probably hard boiling the eggs since hard boiling is a very peculiar science, but once that was done, all I had to do was peel and "chop" the eggs, add the appropriate condiments, and devour.

Now, I'm no stranger to egg salad.  In fact, I really like it, but I also learned while making this recipe that I am very particular about my egg salad.  This recipe called for two ingredients that I don't usually put in my egg salad: Worcestershire and white vinegar.  I liked the Worcestershire--it added a new level of savoriness.  The vinegar, however, was a little too much for me.  I think I've lost my taste for vinegar somewhat over the recent months.  It didn't make the egg salad inedible, but I think I would add less or completely omit it in the future.  Although honestly, I'm probably just going to stick to my usual three-ingredient egg salad from now on.  What can I say? I like consistency and tradition.

For reference, since I failed at taking any pictures whatsoever while making this delicacy, I ate the egg salad in two different settings, once eating it sandwich style, the second eating it on a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment