Friday, February 7, 2014

On My Bookshelf: February

Last month, I read three books, so I'm on track so far for my goal to read 30 books in 2014.  February is shaping up to be a hectic month, so I'm only going to list two books that I want to read this month.  With any luck, I'll wind up reading three anyways, but I really don't like making goals that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep--it was hard enough finishing A Tale of Two Cities.  It's not that I didn't like it, I really did, but it has been a long time since I have read a book on the level of Dickens, and I got seriously confused and turned around at some points of the plot.

This month, I plan to read:


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
I'm not usually the kind of person that reads quote-on-quote self-help books, but after a nightmare experience in the airport, I was perusing the bookstore, and this book just screamed out to me.  Maybe it was the fact that I'd just spent twenty minutes crying in the airport bathroom, but as I read the back of the book and read about Gretchen Rubin's epiphany how the days are long but the years are short, I knew that her account of devoting a year to being more happy would also be uplifting for me too.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
This book has been on my bookshelf for the longest time, and I figured what better time to read it than during February, the society-declared month of love.  I'm pretty sure this book is going to be an emotional roller-coaster, but I'm excited to read it nonetheless.

What are you planning on reading this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment