Monday, January 6, 2014

On My Bookshelf: January

Like I did last year, I have the goal of reading 30 books this year.  It probably doesn't sound like a lot to some people who have the ability to just devour books whole, but I barely scraped by in finishing thirty books in 2013.  I'm hoping to do even better than that this year, and one way I am hoping to do this is by semi-planning in advance which books I am going to try to tackle every month.  I'm hoping since it's the beginning of a new semester that I will be able to read three books this month, even though I do have quite a few things going on outside of class every weekend of January.

Fingers crossed though that I find the time to get these books read:

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.  This book was recommended to me by David's mom, and it's been in my reading queue for a while.  I started it in the wee hours of the morning of the 1st after not being able to sleep following a New Years party, and just a few pages in, I liked it immediately.  Since my flight home from Chicago yesterday was so delayed, I managed to read about a fourth of it on the plane, and I'm eager to find out what happens next!








Things Pondered by Beth Moore.  This book was one that I discovered on a whim, and I am definitely interested to read it.  It's not too often that I read a non-fiction book, but I was drawn to this one because it is one woman's reflections on loss, love, the seasons of grace, and life as a woman of God, all in the spirit of remembering and honoring Mary as she pondered and treasured her memories as the mother of Jesus: "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." Luke 2:19.







A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.  I have an unofficial goal of reading more classics this year, and I figured why not start with the greatest writer of the Victorian period.  I've also wanted to read this book since I was about eleven when I picked up a copy in Barnes & Noble because I liked the cover.  My parents talked me out of it, but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot given that I am now twice that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment