Friday, January 24, 2014

Imminent Adventures in Baking

I've never been much of a baker.  I've always wanted to be able to whip up the perfect batch of cookies or a super airy cake, but I've never tried, so I can't attest to my abilities.  Well, today that will change.  My sister Colleen's bridal shower is tomorrow, and I volunteered to make cookies as favors.  Since I will be using cookie cutters (a "C" for Colleen, and a "J" for her fiance, John), I couldn't really cheat and use pre-made dough, so I'm going old school and using a rolling pin and everything.  I'll also probably wear an apron and smudge some flour on my cheek for effect.

I'm going to get two baking adventures for the price of one though because I'm also going to be making a batch of gluten free cookies (my sister, Mary Bridget, and my niece, Hannah, both have celiac disease).  I'm pretty much terrified by this prospect because I know so much can go wrong in gluten free baking, namely that the cookie will crumble to pieces and taste horrible.

So, it's going to be a big evening of baking for me.  I figure, worst case scenario, I'll just smother the cookies in frosting to mask any discrepancies.

No comments:

Post a Comment