Monday, January 13, 2014

I have lived...


...in my parents' house.  First in the room that overlooks the cul-de-sac, second in the room that looks out into the backyard, transitioning from baby blue to light lavender walls as I transitioned from childhood into young adulthood.  I walked to elementary school everyday and wished on plastic ceiling stars by night, and they're the same stars that I still wish upon when I'm home for a weekend or a break.  Life continues to go on, but some things still remain the same.

...in my freshman dorm, where I lived with a stranger for the first (and hopefully last) time and where I took my first tentative steps into semi-adulthood and independence (three and a half years later, and I'm still kind of working on that).  I had my first relationship within those walls, I had my first break-up within those walls, and I met some wonderful friends too (a birthday shout-out to the lovely and dear Molly).  I laughed a lot that year and I cried a lot that year, but mostly I just worked on figuring out who I was.

...in a dorm style suite with three other amazing women. We had a spider infestation, we had an ant infestation, we had our toilet overflow, and we had a doorknob that fell off every time you opened the door. But despite the state of disrepair of the rooms, we persevered and made it through a couple hard semesters of class. That was also the year that David and I started dating, and that I would not trade for anything.

...an assortment of campus housing apartments in which I always decorate my room the same way, so it always feels like the same room even when I change floors or buildings.  The room is small, but I like to keep flowers in it to make it feel more like home.  Currently, my amaryllis is blooming.  This is where I study for tests and plan for the future.  This is where I talk to David when he’s driving home from work.  This is where most of my crafting takes place, so I try to make a place that always fosters my creativity.  This semester will be my last few months in this room, and I’m excited for future places lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment