Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Tuesday Tea: Looking Back at 2013

New Years Eve is always a day for reflection on the past year, and I'll especially have a lot of reflection time today since I'm leaving for Chicago to spend the last few days of Christmas Break with David--nothing like 2 hours of alone time on a plane to evaluate your life.

2013 was a year full of ups and downs.  I got amazing grades in some classes; I got failing grades in others.  My family experienced both a birth and a death.  I checked items off of my list of goals for 2013; I failed at completing some of said goals.

The list really goes on.

Sometimes it's really hard for me to accept the bad things that happen. Oftentimes the things that happen are completely out of my control, but when they're my fault (like a bad grade or a relationship mistake), it can feel even worse.

It's not a new revelation that I'm my own harshest critic. But I made a goal the past few years that I would try to find something positive in every situation, and despite how hard it can be sometimes, I really do think that this has improved my outlook somewhat on the things I can't control.  If you look hard enough, you really can find a small glimmer of a silver lining, even if it's just a lesson (personally, I've gotten a lot of lessons in patience and humility this year).

2014 is going to be a big year of firsts for me between graduating college and entering "the real world," and so I especially know that I have to keep a positive mindset as I enter this new year.  There's going to be times when I know I will feel completely overwhelmed, but I know that there's also going to be some really amazing times as well.  We'll just have to wait and see what God has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment