Monday, December 16, 2013

Kerry's Favorite Things of 2013 (á la Oprah)

If Oprah can have a list of favorite things every year, then I think I can too. The only difference of course being that people will actually go out and buy the items she endorses. But these are ten tried and true products that I discovered this year that have my stamp of approval.

1: DavidsTea -- David and I are especially fans of The Earl's Garden, possibly the yummiest variation of traditional Earl Grey tea that I have ever had.
2: Cole Haan shoes -- A pair of shoes like these are the kind of shoe that you only buy extremely on sale, but they are some of the best investments I've made. I recently read an article about how women's shoes, both high heels and flats, have essentially zero support, no matter how comfortable they may feel. The solution (besides walking around in sneakers all day)? Cole Haan teamed up with Nike to build their shoes with Nike Air technology, and my arches have thanked me ever since.
3: Organix hair products -- I have thick, weirdly textured hair that loves to simultaneously have serious breakage and too much build-up. (Is that enough TMI yet?) Organix has the only products that I've encountered that can somehow tame my hair to a more manageable level. Plus they all smell amazing.
4: Individual serving tea strainers -- Perfect for making just one cup of tea when you don't want to use tea bags. 
5: True & Co.* -- Okay, so I'm not the kind of girl to talk about underthings on her blog, but I would be doing a disservice to the other women of the world if I didn't at least mention this company. How many times have you felt awkward and rushed trying on bras in a store, the sales lady constantly asking how things are fitting? True & Co. send you your bras to try on at home for free with absolutely zero obligation to purchase. Cue the Hallelujah Chorus for the option to try on bras in the comfort of our own homes.  Plus, their customer service is amazing, and I've loved the bras I bought from them.
6: KnitPicks Cotlin Yarn -- This is probably my favorite yarn that I've used this year. I used it to knit my Hashtag Camisole, and I am currently using it again to knit a table runner. It's a great blend of cotton and linen, and I think it's great for a variety of patterns that require more structure but is still soft.
7: Interweave Knits Magazine -- Because David is frequently buying me craft related things, he made the great decision in buying me a subscription to a knitting magazine for Valentine's Day.  I love the patterns in it, and the articles are great to read too.  In fact, this is the magazine where I got the pattern for, you guessed it, my Hashtag Camisole.
8: Sharpie Pens -- I love a good inky pen, but the way I write, I usually just end up smudging the ink right across the paper.  Therefore, I love Sharpie pens because they have terrific saturation, but they dry immediately.
9: Field Treasure Designs -- I first learned about this company when I entered into their Thanksgiving giveaway in 2012 and consequently won a reclaimed pallet clock (relive the glory in this post).  Ever since, I have told so many people about the founder's incredible handmade work, and I absolutely love his mission statement.  I love small businesses, and I've been looking for the opportunity to buy something from him again soon.
10: Peppermint tea -- I generally have a really sensitive stomach, and aside from sleeping it off, I've never really found a good solution to an upset stomach.  A few months ago, I went to the Dekalb Farmer's Market and found myself in tea heaven.  They had a whole aisle of loose leaf tea at minuscule prices.  On a whim, I bought an entire Tupperware container of peppermint tea for just $2, and it has done so much to help my stomach.  As a bonus, it tastes amazing :) 

*By the way, if True & Co. seems like something that might be right up your alley, use this referral code.  It'll give you $25 off your purchase, and it'll give me store credit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment