Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tuesday Tea: The Dharma Bums

"The first sip of tea is joy, the second is gladness, the third is serenity, the fourth is madness, the fifth is ecstasy."

- Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums


If you read this blog even semi-regularly, you know that I have a profound love for Jack Kerouac, especially his novel The Dharma Bums.  I first read this book during a time when Kerouac's autobiographical words really hit home for me, especially his speculations about God, spirituality, and life.  This book introduced me to a spiritual mode of thinking that I think I've carried with  me ever since, and the overarching themes of compassion, simplicity, and spontaneity are things that I try to put into practice.

When I took a prayer and meditation class as a senior in high school, one of the most important things I was taught was to not lose my childish innocence, and The Dharma Bums emphasizes this all over again for me.

"To the children and the innocent, it's all the same."

One cup of tea with a side of simplicity, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment