Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A to Z Book Survey

I've seen this list on a few different blogs, and I wanted to give filling it in myself a go.  Some of these questions were hard!


Author you’ve read the most books from.
Jack Kerouac. I've read over seven of his novels including one of his books of poetry.

Best sequel ever.

Rebels Angels by Libba Bray, the sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty. Between the fantasy and the budding semi-romance between Gemma and Kartik, I devoured this book whole.

Currently reading.
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon.


Drink of choice while reading.
No surprise: Tea! It's starting to get colder, so my tea addiction is probably going to start increasing exponentially.

E-reader or physical book? 

This is a tough one. I love everything about a physical book--the smell, the feel, bookmarks--except for the inconvenience of lugging it around. Especially on vacation, e-readers are the way to go since you can save so much luggage space by having all your books stored in one convenient place.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school. 

Well, I never dated in high school, but if I had my pick of the litter, I would have dated complex pretty boy Jon Snow. Or Severus Snape, even though he would have been slightly out of my age range by about 20 years. Or Cadvan from the Pellinor series.  Apparently, high school Kerry had a soft spot for brooding characters.

Glad you gave this book a chance. 

Ender's Game by Orsen Scott Card. I don't usually go for science fiction novels, but this book blew my mind. I can't wait for the movie to release next month.

Hidden gem book.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.  Okay, so maybe this isn't a hidden gem for most people given its wide popularity, but at the time when I read it, it was a hidden gem for me given that I had never heard anyone mention it before.

Important moment in your reading life. 

Before I could even read, I used to pick a big word in a book, ask what it was, and then learn how to spell it.  The first word I ever did this with was butterfly.

Just finished.

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.  I didn't completely agree with everything in this book, but he did make some interesting points.

Kinds of books you won’t read. 

Honestly, I read pretty much everything.  I read some things more than others, but in general, there isn't a genre that I completely avoid.  If someone recommends a book to me, I'll usually read it whether it be science fiction, historical romance, or even nonfiction.

Longest book you’ve ever read. 

Goodreads tells me that would be George R.R. Martin’s A Storm of Swords coming in at 1,177 pages of literary awesomeness.

Major book hangover because of

One Day by David Nicholls.  This book continues to haunt me with its beauty.

Number of bookcases you own. 

Not enough.  Most of my books have just accumulated on my dresser, in my closet, and even a crate on the floor.

One book you have read multiple times.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

Preferred place to read.

In a comfy armchair with a warm blanket and a cup of tea.

Quote from a book you’ve read that inspires you.
"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Reading regret. 

There are several books that I read during high school for certain English classes that I feel I did not fully appreciate.  I would like to give some of them a chance again, but my impression of them is too soiled by being forced to read them.

Series you started and need to finish.

A Song of Ice and Fire.  But then again, George R. R. Martin hasn't even finished the series, so I've got some time.  My goal is just to be caught up before the new seasons air on HBO.  I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows, so I'm good for now in that regard.

Three of your all-time favourite books. 
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. Woof, that was hard to narrow down...

Unapologetic fangirl for… 
Severus Snape.  You guys, I wrote fan-fiction that centered around him.  Enough said.

Very excited for this release more than all the others.

Written in My Own Heart's Blood, the eighth book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  I'm finishing up the seventh book now, and I'm already itching for the next in the series.

Worst bookish habit.

I hate dog-earring books, but I'm also bad about using bookmarks.  The end result: I usually just close the book without marking my spot and suffer for it later as I backtrack and find where I left off.

X marks the spot: the 27th book on my shelf. 

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

Your latest book purchase. 

Knit Two by Kate Jacobs.

Zzz-snatcher book (latest book that kept you up way late).
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I knew the end of this book was going to be sad, but I stayed up late to finish it anyways because I couldn't stop.  I ended up bawling my eyes out at 2 in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. I love you. This made me laugh out loud!
    High School Molly would have given you some competition for those brooding older men.
    ps totally stealing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I convinced you to read Ender's Game.

    ReplyDelete