Friday, September 20, 2013

Oatmeal

I recently discovered the joys of cooking oatmeal* on the stove.  In the past, I just took the lazy route and cooked it in the microwave, but that usually led to under or over-cooked oatmeal that made me understand why some people call it gruel.  It just doesn't sound appetizing.  And kind of makes me want to watch Pocahontas...  Don't judge.

But then, on a whim this weekend, I decided to give cooking oatmeal on the stove a whirl.  The results: it only took a few minutes more, and it was so much tastier.  So long as I have a pot and stove at my convenience, I will henceforth be cooking my oatmeal this way.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of oatmeal (I use old fashioned oats)
1/2 cup water
1/2 milk (or half & half if you want it really creamy)
2 tsp brown sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

1. Combine water and milk in pot and heat to a low boil, stirring regularly to prevent the milk from burning.
2. Once the water and milk begin to bubble, stir in the oatmeal and simmer.
3. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix in.
4. The oatmeal is done when it is creamy but no longer runny (about five minutes after adding oatmeal in).
5. Serve the oatmeal and top with any fruits of choice.

*By oatmeal, I don't mean the individual serving size packets that have overly sweet flavors like maple syrup and brown sugar.  Having grown up with a diabetic sister, I was never really exposed to large quantities of sugar, so, as a result, I can't even handle things like sweetened applesauce.  Unsweetened for me please!  So, when I buy oatmeal, I buy the extra large canisters of just plain oats on the bottom row of the shelf.  They need some love too.

No comments:

Post a Comment