Monday, August 26, 2013

Favorite Book Superlatives

If you're an avid book lover like me, then you understand what I mean when I say that having someone ask me what my favorite book is usually turns into an internal battle as I struggle to narrow down the long list of books that I love. Do I choose a book that gave me warm, fuzzy feelings? A book that's critically acclaimed? A classic? A book that reduced me to a puddle of tears and gave me lifelong lessons to cherish?

You get the point.

So Kristin at My Life As A Teacup, sharing the same problem, devised a solution, a means of giving our favorite books their due credit by creating a superlative system, not unlike high school senior superlatives. 

So without further ado:

Comfort Book (For when you're in a bad mood, good mood, or somewhere in between.  Pair this book with your favorite feel good meal, get comfy, and read): Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac

   5113

Favorite classic: Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

Favorite series: Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

   

Most beautifully and hauntingly written: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Favorite story: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

   

Favorite book that's kind of depressing, yet beautiful, and frankly, I still don't really know what to do with it: One Day by David Nicholls

Most nostalgic: The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.  I read this book during a very interesting time of my life.

   


The perfect book (Captivating story, subtle yet powerful message, beautiful prose, characters you both love and love to hate, not too lengthy, timeless...): The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

What are your favorite books?  Are you like me and can't nail it down to one?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, but to me, it sounds like you described the Dharma Bum as your favorite book. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete