Monday, June 17, 2013

Chicago, Illinois is Like a Shiny Toy

This post inspired by this gem:


Lesley Ann Warren sums up Chicago pretty well in saying that it's basically the best city.  Sure, I'm a little biased ;) but there really is so much about Chicago that makes it such a tremendous place.  Two weekends ago, I went to visit David in Chi Town, and I think it was the best weekend that David and I have spent together since we started long distance.

I flew into Chicago at about 5:15 central time, and I was in David's arms within the hour as he was awesome enough to pick me up from the train station.  After parking his car back at his apartment, we walked to a bar a few blocks from his place to go to one of his company's events.  It was great because I got to meet some of the people that David works with, and it was pretty funny at times because people kept asking what my job was.  After, David and I went to go eat with two of his coworkers at a Japanese BBQ restaurant called Gyu-Kaku where we drank sake, snacked on edamame, and got to cook our own meat for dinner.  Later, we were invited out by more of David's coworkers to a karaoke bar called Friar Tuck's.  I told David that I would sing a song only if he joined me, so we sang "Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good."  David sang some other songs throughout the night, but I was just content to watch and cheer other people on.  Karaoke ended up being a pretty good experience.  Completely whooped because I was still on Atlanta time, David and I wandered back to his apartment and went to sleep.

On Friday, we planned to have a picnic for lunch and went to the store to pick everything up.  We had hummus, veggies, cheese, crackers, summer sausage, and wine, and it was pretty much perfect.  It was so beautiful outside and we ate in the grass in the courtyard on the second floor of the apartment building.  After we had stuffed ourselves, we just laid in the grass and talked and relaxed under the sun.





A few hours later, we took a walk in search of some ice cream or frozen yogurt.  We settled on Pink Berry and made the right choice.  We piled it high with fruit and ate it walking back to the apartment.  On our way back, we walked by The Melting Pot and decided it would be the perfect place to go for a dinner date out.  Once dinner time rolled around and we were hungry again, we got all dressed up and headed back out.  Dinner was so delicious.  It was David's first time having fondue, and it was a great experience.  Needless to say though, you could have practically rolled us out of the restaurant (I had to loosen my belt twice before the meal was over).  Afterwards, we took the train to a fancy schmancy bar, The Violet Hour, for specialty cocktails.  We had to wait outside for a few minutes to get seats, but it was worth it.  The ambiance is amazing, and I love that they don't permit cell phones.  It was wonderful to just sip our drinks and talk to David.  My drink was called Scarlet Ribbons, and it was yummy and grapefruity.



Caught in the rain but happy to be together :)
Saturday morning we slept in some before booking it to the Bank of America Theater where the musical The Book of Mormon was playing.  We arrived just in time to enter our names into the drawing that they hold two hours before every show to win front row seats.  Even though we had a really good chance of winning, I was still nervous, but they eventually pulled my name and scored two seats to the matinee.  The tickets weren't completely free, but the $25 price tag was much more bearable than the $125 they would have regularly cost.  We had two hours to kill before the show, so we walked to the Berghoff restaurant for some yummy German cuisine.  Afterwards, we wandered into an Argo Tea to get some much needed caffeine before the show, and we made our way back to the theater.  The show was amazing!  We laughed pretty much the entire time, especially the second act, and it was such an awesome way to spend an afternoon.  Afterwards, it was raining some, so we popped into this cool store that we ran into on the way home.  It's called The 3D Printer Experience, and well, it's kind of just what it sounds like.  They have a bunch of 3D printers with a bunch of really impressive sculptures that they've designed and "printed."  They even had computers where you could design your own pendant to be printed.  Pretty wild.






That night, we sat around and watched some TV before making dinner.  We cooked sherry vinegar chicken with a side of salad, green beans, and potato salad.


Sunday morning, we woke up and made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast--one of my favorites!


Afterwards, we hopped on the train to go to Maifest.  There was good food, good music, and lots of German to go around, and we had so much fun!




I got flowers for my hair :)

Unfortunately, Monday came all too quickly.  My flight back to Atlanta wasn't until late afternoon, so after packing up my things and loading up the car, David and I drove to the Chicago History Museum.  We learned about a lot of really awesome things (like how the Indians named Chicago and it means "stinky onions!"), and it was also a nice way to spend my last few hours with David.  We when were done, we shared some frozen yogurt and drove me to the airport.



A.A. Milne said it best: "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment