Saturday, April 13, 2013

Theology On Tap

If given the choice between going out and doing something versus staying home with a book and a cup of tea, then nine times out of ten, staying home will win. What can I say, I'm a homebody. I recognize the fact that sometimes I'm painfully shy, but Thursday night, I made myself take a step outside my comfort zone.

Backtracking, three months ago, I was hanging out with a friend of mine who goes to school at the University of Richmond, and he invited me along to an event that his brother was starting. It goes by a different name now, but it was essentially the equivalent of a popular notion called Theology on Tap. The idea: talk about faith and religion and its aspects in life while simultaneously enjoying a beer (or a cider if you're me).  I had such a great time when I went to the event for the first time (held on the second Thursday of every month), and even though my friend is now studying abroad in South Korea, I knew that I wanted to try to make an effort to attend the event as often as possible.

The past two months, because of Spring Break and a poetry reading, I was unable to attend, but when I got the reminder email this past week reminding me that the second Thursday of the month was coming up, I really wanted to go.  Part of me spent half an hour trying to come up with an excuse to not go (this part of me being the awkward, shy part of me), but eventually, I kicked myself for trying to make excuses.  So in my five minutes of courage, I emailed the guy running the fellowship and told him that I would definitely be coming.  There was no way out of it now.

But when it's all said and done, and I am so glad I went.  Not just because I proved to myself that I can in fact take the initiative to do something that I might not necessarily be altogether comfortable with, but because I had a great time.  I met some amazing people (some familiar, some not), and I had the opportunity to talk about my faith and Catholicism, which is something that I hardly ever get the chance to do.  I think such an important part of the Catholic faith is being able to talk about it with other people, and doing so really renewed me in a way.  Every once in a while, I think everyone needs that kind of experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment