Saturday, February 23, 2013

Walk To End Lupus Now

A few years after I was born, my mom was diagnosed with lupus.

The Lupus Foundation of America gives the following definition of lupus:

Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body (skin, joints and/or organs inside the body). Normally our immune system produces proteins called antibodies that protect the body from foreign substances, like bacteria and viruses. With lupus, your immune system cannot tell the difference between these foreign invaders and your body's healthy tissues and creates autoantibodies ("auto" means "self") to attack and destroy healthy tissue. These autoantibodies cause inflammation, pain, and damage in various parts of the body.

It's scary growing up, watching someone you love have lupus.  There would be mornings when I would wake up to go to school and know that my mom was having another "flare" because she would still be in bed, something that never happened unless she truly was sick, and then she would usually be like that for days at a time.  I would pray every night that she would be up and about when I woke up the next morning.

But as the result of her disease, my mom is one of the strongest people I know.  She has worked hard every day of her life and puts on a smile to the outside world.  The only indicators to strangers that she might be sick are her handicap sticker on her car or her cane.

I would do anything for her.

Every year, my family participates in the annual Lupus Walk.  It takes place at Piedmont Park at the end of April, and every year, my entire family gets together to raise money and walk for our mom, wife, and friend.  For the past three or four years, our team, Lynn's Lupus Fighters, has even had the recognition of being in the top ten earning teams.

Registration just opened up for this year, and our team is accepting donations.  Monetary donations are amazing, but if you don't have the means, then prayers are always acceptable forms of donation too--they're absolutely wonderful, in fact.

You can donate on my personal page or you can make a general team donation.  Either way, it all goes to help find a cure for lupus.

Thank you :)

1 comment:

  1. My heart and soul are overwhelmed with the beauty and love of your words. My love to you always my dear darling Kerry.

    ReplyDelete