Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Tea: Feeling Inspired

I'm really glad I decided to take a creative writing class this semester.

But first let me backtrack:

When I first sent an email to Travis Denton to request a spot in his class, I never expected to have any difficulty getting into the class; it didn't seem that competitive of a class and there was no one signed up when I initially sent my email.  After telling Travis the reasons why I wanted to be in his class, I received a reply from him saying that I could register for the class.  And voila!  I was accepted into the class I never expected to have trouble getting into in the first place.

So imagine my surprise when on the first day of class, I found out that more than 100 people applied to be in the class, and I was miraculously one of the 15 students that had gotten in.  There was one girl that I was sitting next to that had been applying for the class for the past four semesters.  I was flabbergasted and still don't know how I got in.

As a result, I feel like the pressure to produce good writing is a lot higher than I thought it was going to be.  At the beginning of every class, we spend about 30 minutes writing from a prompt, and after hearing some of the other students' writing, I'm starting to wonder how I got in in the first place.

I had a miracle take place this morning though.  I had two poems that were due to my professor at noon and while I only had about six lines of one, the other was still a blank screen.  It's amazing what a great cup of tea can do though, and apparently I can write decently under pressure.  Still not sure how well they'll be received by my professor, but in the meantime, I feel satisfied :)

No comments:

Post a Comment