Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tuesday Tea: Career Fair




I got to party it up at the career fair today.  And someone needed to tell these companies that this career fair was aimed towards co-ops and internships because I got a lot of confused faces when I said i was applying for a summer internship, not a full time job.  Ask me again in a year.

After waiting in line for half an hour to get into the career fair, I went around to all the companies that I had scoped out over the past few days.  The first company I met with was by far my favorite.  Verdeeco is "a smart grid analytics company," and the guy I introduced myself to was so nice.  We talked a lot about what the company does, and after looking over my resume, he talked about what my contribution to the company would be.  Watching him circle highlights on my resume was so encouraging, and it made me really interested in what Verdeeco has to offer.

Another company that I really liked was ADP, and again, the reasoning is mostly inferred off of the interactions that I had with the man that I talked to.  He was enthused about several things on my resume, and when I told him that I don't know specifically what I want to do with my math degree, he didn't then proceed to talk to me like I hadn't done my research like some of the other companies did.  Instead, he talked with me about what ADP has to offer and the different opportunities that would be availing and coming up.

It was companies like these that made my career fair experience feel worthwhile.

Although, it was nice to get back to my room, be able to kick off my heels, and make a cup of tea.  No one ever said applying for jobs was easy.

P.S. Another perk of the career fair: receiving some weird writing utensil that I originally thought was a highlighter but is instead some wacky crayon-marker fusion.  Mind blown.

P.P.S. Wednesday Update on Day Two of the career fair: Today was even more of a success than yesterday was!  I attribute some of this to the fact that I was a lot less nervous this time around since I went into the career fair already knowing what to expect.  It also helped that I arrived there right when the doors opened, so I didn't have to wait in line just to get into the ballroom.  Like yesterday, the first company I talked to was my favorite.  It was EverSpark Interactive (a company I first heard about almost a year ago on Fox News), and I feel like I could be a great asset there.  The woman I talked to was so nice, and I feel like my school and work experience would segue perfectly into an internship there.  Fingers crossed!

1 comment: