Sunday, January 13, 2013

The End Always Comes Too Soon

I am finding myself wholly unprepared for this new semester. If you'd asked me how badly I was ready for a fresh start about a month ago, I would have begged for a new semester. But between then and now, three little weeks of Christmas break happened and it was too much of a preview of freedom.

Needless to say, the three weeks were wonderful, and even though I haven't started this semester off on the footing I would have liked, I am still trying to stay optimistic by having things to look forward to.  I feel like said things deserve their own post though, so in the meantime, I present the highlights from Christmas break. It was, in a nutshell, amazing, but I'll let you be the judge of that :)

After arriving home from school once exams were blessedly over, I mostly holed up in my room. What did I proceed to do for a week before Christmas? I frantically knitted. I had five projects that I needed to get done before the 24th, and I was determined to get them done.

The good news was that I did in fact finish all my knitting, and Christmas was wonderful. David flew in from Chicago the evening of the 22nd which meant that he got to celebrate Christmas with my family on the 24th.  It was a crazy but wonderful day, and it was the first time that David got to experience a home mass which is always really intimate.

I also got to spend some time with the Brown family which is always a lot of fun.  I think David's little nephew is one step away from proposing to me.  He's officially asked if he could be my "little boyfriend," and he made me a bracelet out of wrapping paper.

Another break highlight: trying miracle berries.  They're a special fruit that makes sour things taste sweet.  Long story short, they work, and we had an entire spread of food to try.  We had everything from lemons and limes to sour patch kids, and everything tasted even yummier than they are already.  I think the two biggest food surprises were the sour cream and the balsamic vinegar.  The sour cream tasted like yogurt, and the vinegar was so yummy that I would have drunken it by the glassful if I hadn't known it would destroy my stomach.

On New Years Eve, David and I played Jenga all night with friends before we got to share our first New Years kiss that actually took place at midnight (last years' happened at the wee hour of 1:30 a.m.).  Then the next day, David and I left for Chicago together for my last few days of break.  It was the perfect ending to a much needed break.  We made yummy dinners together, went to a concert and a show, and the end always came too soon.



Wish lanterns!

New Years Eve!


Pork chops with a spicy orange glaze.




Spicy grilled chicken and black bean enchiladas.


Chicago sunset :)

No comments:

Post a Comment