Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Knitted Pot Holders

Yesterday marked the last day that David and I got to spend together before he leaves for Chicago and starts his job at BP. Naturally, I couldn't let him leave without giving him a going away present of some sort, so for the longest time, I wracked my brain trying to think of something. A good fallback for me is to just make something, but then what?

The final decision was for me to make him a set of pot holders to use in his new apartment. To start I cast on 38 stitches of Knit Picks' "Wool of the Andes" in the color Solstice Heather onto size 8 needles. I chose to use a yarn made of 100% wool because I figured it would insulate better than some other yarns I could have used. From there, I knitted 62 rows of the garter stitch (chosen for its thicker texture) before binding off. Then, I knitted about 20 rows of a single stitch in order to create the loop which I attached with a darning needle. Repeat the whole process twice and I had me a set of pot holders for David to take all the way to Illinois!

The finished product!

1 comment: