Monday, July 23, 2012

The End is Nigh (or Neigh, as the case may be)

There's only two weeks left in the summer semester, and I think a Snoopy dance is in order. Granted this means that exams are barely a week away, but I'm so ready for a fresh start with a new semester. The best part: I won't be taking physics which in my book means my classes should hopefully be a breeze. I'm probably just fooling myself, but the thought of not having to take physics for the next five months is enough to make me jump up and down. Physics is not my cup of tea--I'm just flat out bad at it--and if there's one thing I've learned at Tech, it's that there's nothing like a few bad grades to make you feel horrible about yourself.

On a better note, I really like my math class which is a relief. You know, since it's my major and all. But my professor (who's actually a grad student) is really cool and seems really nice. I always like having grad students for teachers because they seem to be able to sympathize about our work loads more since they're going through the same hell we are. He's a little sarcastic which fits my personality perfectly and if someone asks a question, he actually takes the time to answer it which is a lot better than some other professors. Needless to say, how much I liked the class was a pleasant surprise, and it's geared me up for my math classes next semester. Abstract Vector Spaces and Probability & Statistics, here I come!

To celebrate the impending end of summer classes though, I started the weekend early by leaving to go horseback riding. My family started riding at the Southern Cross Ranch over two years ago, and ever since, we've been addicted to the delicious food, great wranglers, and, of course, to the amazing horses. Having over 250 horses, it's hard to find one that you don't bond with perfectly, and I know that I have a few favorites! I'm a seasoned veteran riding Luna and Cookie, but coincidentally, I was unable to ride either one of these two sweethearts this time. Cookie was taking a rest in the pasture for a couple weeks because of some girth sores that she had, and Luna threw a shoe literally right before I was supposed to ride her. So instead, for our first ride that morning, I rode Monroe. However, like her namesake (Marilyn Monroe), this horse was prissy and slow. She wasn't that stubborn like some horses can be, but she had a will to avoid mud at all costs. Having rained heavily the night before, this resulted in me being subjected to a couple run-ins with some tree branches, and I rode into some spider webs a few times.

For the afternoon ride, however, I settled on a different horse and rode Sweetie. And Sweetie was in fact a sweetie. She had an easy-going pace but wasn't as slow as molasses and definitely knew how to pick up the pace when I wanted her too. It was sweet because all of the wranglers referred to her as an old lady since she was older than most of the other horses. I don't know how to differentiate between a horse that's say five or twenty, but I was very happy with Sweetie, and even though it rained some, I was very happy with the trip too.

But now I'm back at school...  Who wants to do my math homework?  And for that matter, who wants to take my exams for me?

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

1 comment:

  1. Kerry, don't let physics get you down. Tech makes smart people feel dumb.
    I'm sad that I wasn't able to come riding with you :-(

    ReplyDelete