Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Five Books That Changed My Life and the Adventures That Came With Re-reading Them

I've been reading books for essentially as long as I can remember, and while my favorite books have ranged from everything from The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles to the first book in the Outlander series, I can't deny that there have been five standout books that I have read over the past few years that, to put it bluntly, blew my mind.  They were the kind of books that, at the time, made me sit back and re-evaluate my life, and I have recently been wondering if they would affect me in the same way upon a second reading.  The five books are all listed below in the original order in which I first read them, and I plan to read them again* as soon as I finally finish reading George R. R. Martin's A Storm of Swords (damn you, college, for sucking away so much of my reading time).

1) Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
2) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
3) The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
4) The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
5) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

*Posts to follow on the outcomes of these grand re-reading adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment