Friday, July 20, 2012

5 Things I Vowed I Would Never Like But Ended Up Really Liking Anyway

So, my dear friend and fellow blogger, Molly, presented a challenge on her blog today in the form of what she calls the "Friday Five." The gist: she will come up with a topic every week and then list five things about herself pertaining to the designated topic. To spice up my blog life, I've decided to follow along (and because I will admit that I've always wanted to participate in something like this).

So, to kick things off, I present week one and the 5 Things I Vowed I Would Never Like But Ended Up Really Liking Anyway.

1. J.D. Salinger books: After reading A Catcher in the Rye in the ninth grade, I convinced myself that J.D. Salinger was the worst author in the world. No offense to Holden Caulfield fans, but his perverted musings about young adult life never struck a chord with me. Am I missing the point of the book? Probably. But I decided to give Salinger's classics another chance when I, almost as a joke, picked up Franny and Zooey from the public library. And my viewpoint was completely changed. This book was a wake-up call of sorts for me, and I plan to re-read it soon (see this post).

2. Sour cream: This tangy dairy product used to be a big no-no in my book. I partially developed my aversion to it from its name alone. Seriously, who wants to eat sour cream? But when I finally tried it again after many years, I discovered that it can make already delicious chili even yummier. Call me a convert.

3. Math: Okay, so I can't say I ever vowed to not like math, but never in a million years did I think that I would come close to liking it as much as I do, much less making it my major.

4. E-readers: Nothing beats the smell of the inside of a good book, so for the longest time, I swore off of Kindles and other versions of the new electronic reader. And although I don't own one today, I have used some extensively and will confess that I wouldn't mind owning one, if only for the convenience.

5. Baths: When I was little, in an effort to save money, I used to share my three inches of bath water with one, sometimes two, of my sisters. Naturally, my revulsion for baths peaked before I was even ten, and it took me years to fully appreciate a well-drawn bath. Of course, now it involves the luxury of actually filling the tub to capacity with water and bubbles, and it's moved on from a method of cleaning to a session of relaxation. Win.


P.S. Check out Molly's blog and her own personal Friday Five. She's the bomb.

4 comments:

  1. Awww yeeeah. You are awesome, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I know I will finish converting you to enjoy readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we put a whole thing of sour cream in our dinner last night!

    ReplyDelete