Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Firsts

The past two weekends held a lot of "firsts" for me. Memorial Day weekend was a whirlwind of craziness. David and I had plans to spend it on Daufuskie Island in South Carolina with his family, so we left Friday afternoon promptly after our classes got out, and a five-hour drive later, we arrived in Hilton Head, ready and eager to get on the boat that would take us to Daufuskie. Only a mere fifteen minutes later, we had arrived on the island (me with some seriously windblown hair!), and we were whisked away to Marshside Mama's, the restaurant where David's dad's band was scheduled to play that weekend. Both Friday and Saturday night were filled with three hours of great music, camaraderie, and lots of dancing, and by the end of each night, we were all relieved to make our way back to the house and relax and go to bed.

Imagine my surprise though when David's sister came up into the loft where my bed was on Sunday morning and shook me awake to tell me to pack my things--tropical storm Beryl was scheduled to hit land and we had to get off the island asap since the only way on and off is via boat. After an hour of frantically collecting our things and packing up some of our leftover food to give to the Daufuskie fire station since we didn't want to lug all of that food back to Georgia, we made it to the pier where the boat was docked. Different from the boat that had originally taken David and me onto the island, this boatride was going to take more than four times as long to get us back to Hilton Head. But despite the five-foot waves breaking over the bow, none of us got seasick and we all made it safely to land where we ate some much needed lunch and decided to stay in a hotel for the rest of the day as opposed to driving back to Atlanta. What was clearly the most spontaneous part of the trip ended up being the most memorable. We spent the afternoon soaking up the remaining rays of the sun at the pool, drinking wine and just talking and having a good time. For dinner, we feasted on the rest of our food, drank even more wine, and played card and dice games. The evening capped off one of the more interesting and unexpected vacations I have ever been on. Although I must say, the real highlight might have been when I finished a Rubik's cube for the first time all by myself in the car on the way home. Not a bad ending to the weekend!


Woohoo!  I was a little excited ;)
On the pier, about to go to the island!
Beautiful Daufuskie sunset

The following weekend was also full of things I've never done before.  Friday night, I got to take my sister, Meghan, to the airport.  She's now currently in France studying abroad for six weeks.  I'm jealous of the grand adventures that she's having without me, but I can't wait to live vicariously through all of her stories and pictures.  Then, the  next morning, David and I went with a bunch of other Chi Psi people to go tubing down the Chattahoochee River (also known as shooting the Hooch)!  It was relaxing and adrenaline pumping (especially when my inner-tube decided to flip over), but overall, it was really nice and a we didn't get sunburned!  

Later that evening, David's and my parents got to meet for the first time.  I was admittedly nervous about the whole encounter, but it turned out 100x better than I had imagined it.  I already knew that our parents have a lot in common, so there was never a lack of conversation, and combined with some really great food and company, the whole thing was a success.  

The next day dawned David's and my six month anniversary :)  We started the day in Alpharetta with his family while they had portraits made, and David and I even had a couple pictures of our own taken together which was a nice touch.  When we arrived back on campus, we had our first ever dance lesson!  It was much more tiring than I was expecting it to be but still so much fun nonetheless.  Afterwards, we made a delicious dinner of pistachio crusted salmon and sesame asparagus which was sooooo good.  Then, we went putt-putting, a repeat of the first date we ever had together (coincidentally a year prior), and this time David won (I let him win).  The evening was capped off with some much deserved ice cream, and the day couldn't have been better.  I'm the luckiest girl in the world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment