Monday, May 21, 2012

At the Auction

This past weekend, I got to do something I've never done before.  I went to Gallery 63.  And if anyone watches the Discovery Channel on a fairly regular basis, then you would know that this massive warehouse-like building is home to the TV show Auction Kings.  After having heard about how fun it is from my parents for months, I decided to go with them to one of their monthly auctions.  We got there around 10 am since the auction starts promptly at 11, and if you don't get there early, you won't get a seat!  Because my parents are seasoned pros, we had reserved some seats on the floor instead of being crammed in the the bleachers with everyone else.  But the place was milling with people!  Every inch of floor space was crammed with people, countless auction items, and more than half a dozen camera men.  It was a little unnerving sitting there waiting for the auction to start with cameras swarming around me, but the thought of potentially making it onto TV had me grinning from ear to ear.  This was my 15 minutes of fame, and I was determined to make the most of it.  And before I knew it, the auction was starting and my eyes were constantly darting between the auctioneer and the bidders.  They were auctioning everything from rugs to rare cars and literally everything in between.  Some of the more obscure items were things like the mounted zebra head and the anti-vampire kit from the 18th century.  Neither were things that I would ever have any interest in buying, but I had to admit that the vampire kit, containing a crucifix, holy water, garlic, stakes, and even silver bullets (for the rogue werewolf that you might encounter), was pretty darn cool albeit a little too scary for me.  I was overwhelmed by how fast-paced everything about the auction was.  Auctioneers really do talk as fast as they do in the movies, and just as soon as one item was brought up, another was right behind it, waiting and ready to be sold.  We had spent four hours there without me even realizing the time, and we didn't even stay for the whole thing.  I'm just excited to see the exciting conclusion on TV.  And to see if I ever make an appearance of course ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment