Sunday, December 5, 2010

Carols, Bells, and Choirs of Angels.

There’s something about Christmas music that I love.  It always serves to fit whatever mood I am in.  Earlier today, I was trying to motivate myself to finish searching for quotes within the plethora of sources that I have for my STAC term paper (and I finally know what I’m writing about, woohoo! – which is a good thing considering it’s due in a week.  Shit.).  Inevitably, I turned to the Christmas music that would pump me up the most, and I’ve found that nothing stimulates me more than the energetic chords from Mannheim Steamroller or the dark, brooding electric guitar strains of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  Listen to “Hallelujah (From 'The Messiah')” and “Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)” respectively, and you’ll understand perfectly what I mean.  I’ve never found myself so excited to work on homework before in my life.

At mass this morning, the closing song was “Angels We Have Heard on High” which I adored hearing.  Traditional Christmas music will always be my favorite because it will always remind me of when I was younger and going to Christmas Eve mass with my whole family.  I can’t help but also think of the times when I was little that my dad used to pull out the guitar and strum some carols for us.  My sisters and I used to gather around him and sing along (or so I am told—my memory doesn’t extend back quite that far), and those moments to me are the ones that I would love to revisit because they seem so perfect.

Then, later in the day, I let myself be taken over by the warm, fuzzy side of Christmas as I listened to Glee’s version of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”  Let’s just say that Darren Criss makes my heart throb, and my breath literally caught in my throat several times while he was singing.  I would snuggle up to him on a cold winter’s night any day ;)

This evening, I took my evening walk, and although I tried to concentrate on my prayers, I couldn’t get Emmy Rossum’s version of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” out of my head.  It was honestly one of those moments straight out of a movie: I was just walking along the sidewalk, passing various buildings decorated with trees in their windows and lights on the trees, bundled up in my long jacket with a hat on my head, and as I watched my breath freeze in front of my face, I couldn’t help but think of all the people in my life that I love.  I longed so badly to have been walking home to a warm fire and a house that smelled of cinnamon and pine, but I walked back to my dorm room instead and resigned myself to a warm shower instead of a warm fire.  I won’t be picky.  The shower felt damn good.

1 comment:

  1. I am embarrased to say that today was the first time I had ever noticed this link on your Youtube.... I always just watched the videos... so glad that I found this!!.. I really enjoy your writing and I throughly enjoyed reading all of the posts; you paint such a clear picture of exactly whats on your mind :)

    You inspire me.... Thank you for that :)

    R.

    ReplyDelete